How to Jumpstart Productivity with Your Smartphone
November 12, 2014 Leave a comment
It seems as if you can’t go anywhere on the Internet without encountering some security violation, and there’s a lot of discussion concerning how to keep your data safe. Undoubtedly, mobile devices will surely arise in the debate. Without a doubt, mobile devices are capable of vastly improving productivity while out of the office, but is this enough to offset the incredible amount of risk which comes with hopping from network to network?
In an increasingly security-centric industry, Sagacent has looked into the best solutions available to increase your smartphone security while boosting out-of-office productivity. These solutions are readily available and customizable for your business’s needs, making them fairly versatile. An increased focus on mobile management software, plus an adherence to best practices concerning data security, can make a significant difference in the way you combat potential data loss. However, this begs an even greater question. Smartphones can potentially consume the mind and turn into a productivity-sucking black hole, a possibility which IT professionals often dismiss. How can you stay productive with a smartphone when distractions are impossible to avoid?
Smartphones have changed a lot since their inception into the technology industry. They went from bulky chunks of hardware to small devices with four-to-six inch displays in a matter of years, ideal for mobile computing. In fact, some of these devices now contain more processing power than laptops from only a short time ago, further emphasizing society’s focus on increased mobility and efficiency. There’s no doubt that mobile applications available on smartphones are better than those which might have existed not too long ago, but can these improvements create an environment which fosters productivity while out and about?
Smartphones have become something of a necessity for some folks, and are all over the place. It’s not even just adults; all ages across the board utilize smartphones in one way or another, though it might not be the most productive method of using them. According to study by BI Intelligence, the average smartphone user:
- Plays games 39 percent of the time.
- Uses social media 24 percent of the time.
- Uses utility applications 17 percent of the time.
- Entertainment, lifestyle, and health applications each accounted for three percent, for a total of nine percent.
Overall, the smartphone is in use about 89 percent of the time. This only leaves about an 11 percent chance to use it for work without making some tough cuts in the personal entertainment department. With only an 11 percent open window, you can’t expect a smartphone to provide the same levels of productivity that an ordinary workstation can. Sure, the smartphone is designed for communication, and you can go anywhere with that mobile device, but users shouldn’t by any means consider it a viable replacement for the good old PC.
While the smartphone may not be designed for the purposes of the workplace, there are a few things you can do to make sure you get the most out of working with your smartphone when you can.
A Gaggle of Notifications
If there’s one thing that a smartphone does for you, it keeps you notified at all times. One of the most productive ways to use your smartphone for work is to rig it to provide you with the latest developments on your projects. This helps keep you current on the state of your workplace projects. You can also receive email or texts from applications when something of importance needs attention, which will increase your rate of involvement in your company.
Modern smartphones have the ability to integrate with a variety of cloud-based resources. This helps you stay more informed of developments in your workplace. Some of these functions include syncing with your email and calendar events, and even browsing the Internet. One other powerful mobile device strategy includes using its integrated browser to take advantage of online resources and applications, like Microsoft 365, Evernote, and Google Drive. This sheer overload of technology in the palm of your hand might be a bit overwhelming at times, so it’s best to stay organized and keep a to-do list on hand and current.
It should be obvious that the smartphone isn’t going to be the end-all, be-all solution for your office, but it certainly can help you work more while staying mobile. You probably don’t leave home without it, so why not turn your smartphone into a productivity-boosting machine for your company?